Sometimes I
can feel like I have been deprived the opportunity and the pleasure to know my
grandparents better.
The only
grandparent I have left is my grandad on my mother’s side. He has also been the
one who has had the least impact on my life. My younger cousin ones described him
as a bit of a “troll” haha, which is pretty funny when you think about it,
because it’s kind of an accurate description of him.
My grandma died
very young, hence I was also very young. I was too young to get to know my
grandma more than just as grandma, she was never Else-Marie to me, she was just
grandma, and I feel so deprived of not knowing more about her. I think I was 12
when she passed away.
I had a
really close connection to my grandmother on my dad’s side. She had to children,
my dad and my uncle, but she always wanted a girl. So when I was her first
grandchild, and a girl, and I stayed the only grandchild who was a girl, she
just put more effort in to me, and I of course in to her. I loved being around
her. I spent a lot of my younger years at my grandparents’ house in Malå. My
granddad used to sleep in another room (also called my room) and I would sleep
with my grandma. It was a great time. I loved being there. My grandma died when
I was 18, on the same day as Kristina graduated from Umeå. When I found out
that she was sick, I was 15, I thought that she would live to see my children grow
up, but she never got the chance, and I think she died long before she took her
last breath, the Alzheimer took her piece by piece until northing was left.
When my
grandma died, I think my granddad died to. After that he was never the same. A
few years after my grandma died he still did things, like going fishing and
just biking to some soccer game or just down town to have a coffee. I didn’t
really understand how lonely he was in the beginning. Even though he is the grandparent
that I have known the most in my adult life, I don’t think that I ever got to
know the person who was my happy granddad, at least not in my grownup life.
Still, he is the one grandparent that I have had de most contact with, and the
one that I have had a grown up relationship to. He was a kind person who thought
that he didn’t matter to him. I tried to tell him at least a million times that
he was a big part of my life and that I loved him, but I still think I said
that last part to little, that I loved him. I should have told him more often,
every time that I saw him, talked to him on the phone. I hope he knew, and I hope
he still knows, that I loved to talk to him when I lived in Umeå. I loved to
visit him when I was in Skellefteå, and how said I was when I he didn’t let me
come in through his door.
Because all
of this, I always try to tell Tobias how utterly lucky he is to have 3 of his
grandparents left. That he should cherries that and visit them often. I like
visiting his grandparents too, I try to make them as my own sometimes, because they
are lovely people, all of them. I’m sad that I never meet Tobias granddad sense
they had such a strong connection, and I think that Tobias granddad and grandma
was one of the happies couples in this world and when she talks about how happy
they where I have a hard time holding back the tears, because they were as
happy as we are, and I can’t imagined how sad she must feel sometimes going through
life without him by her side. I hope that we get to be as happy as they were in
their life.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar